Sunday, August 26, 2007

Almost done

I still have one week to finish -- just can't get in to 13 -15, but thought I would go ahead and have some thoughts. It was a fine learning experience, it reminded me some of Pat Crispen's internet introduction mailing list of many, many years back. I can't say that I had a favorite discovery or exercise, I will say once again how boring I found doing the image generators and one or two other things. I can't say that the program had any affect on my life long learning goals -- just one more dandy learning experience, not earth shattering or life altering. I may have found the before mentioned Geeks class more useful, perhaps as it was a true introduction of many of these things for me. I would take part in another such experience, again I am all for those learning experiences. Librarianship is a profession closely ingrained with life long learning and the emphasis is one of the benefits of the field. I would like to stress again how annoying, if not insulting, I found some of the tone of the things -- again the emphasis on fun and play, I also found some of the other wording also insulting "If you are up for it ...", as an example. I have gotten used to the fun tone which is prevalent in many Maryland public library learning experiences, but it still often drives me crazy, as if we are not all professionals (and I don't mean degreed) and the only way that we would take part in a learning experience is if it is "fun" or if it constantly labeled as "fun". Yes, some may find it as fun, some may not, but the inherent value of learning is often enough. Fun and play used in that context is talking down to the profession. I also find it personally intrusive. Like many I was not really able to do many things at work, but had limited time at home during this period, but am not opposed to taking part from home, but I my system can handle it. Knowing the amount of time some of my colleagues spent on this, the ceus don't seem appropriate for many. I would say it has also encouraged me to start looking at a doctoral program again, so I guess that could be a life-long learning affect.

No comments: